Who Is Cowtown Pattie?

My photo
I was Lillie Langtry in another life, and might have a crush on Calamity Jane.

Monday, September 03, 2007

Hanoch Piven

Random House Children's Books sent me the cutest, most creative and original picture book I've seen in a long while: My Dog is as Smelly as Dirty Socks, by Hanoch Piven.

How have I missed the wonderful works of this artist?

Piven says in the author's note that he spent three days with the oncology department at Schneider Children's Medical Center of Israel where he supervised a workshop for kids with cancer. The endpapers of the book have pictures of the whimsical and very inspiring artworks from these children.

In a word, "wow".

Not only a great way to get your child interested in art, everyone can shine with Piven's method of "drawing with objects". I gotta try this myself!

Here is a website for Piven. Click on the "See Portraits" button. This man is genius!

Here is his rendition of...guess who?

 
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Kay Dennison said...

Sounds interesting! I'll look for it!

Foo said...

To my surprise, I guessed correctly. I think it was the nose.

I'm not sure what that says about me, but I'm guessing it's nothing good. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar...

Anonymous said...

"Wow" indeed. And I absolutely adore Steve's caricature of Barbara Streisand. Nothing more fitting than a microphone for her!

Now I gotta' order yet another children's book. Wonderful. Thank you.