Who Is Cowtown Pattie?

My photo
I was Lillie Langtry in another life, and might have a crush on Calamity Jane.

Saturday, February 19, 2005

Black Bundle of Love

Gus at 8 weeks





Meet the newest addition to the Pattie household: Augustus "Gus", named after a great McMurtry character Kman and I love. These photos were taken the day he came home with us at 8 weeks of age. He weighed 16 pounds. Now he is nearly 15 weeks old and weighs just over 30 pounds. Not a purebred black lab, but he is intelligent and a constant ball of energy and devotion. Our backyard may not be the mini-Eden it usually is this spring, but I guess it is a fair trade off. Labs stay "puppy" for the first three years of their lives. Great - a 100+ pound puppy. Gus is my second black lab. Years ago I had Gable, but was not allowed to spoil or cuddle him as he was a "hunting" dog and would be TRAINED for such. A bunch of macho hooey.

Gus is convinced he is Labrador lap dog and I am thinking we should have named him Baby Huey. He is best friends with the other pooch of the castle, Bella. Bella is a fragile 6 pound chihuahua and Gus is beginning to be a bit much to tussle with now. Anyone remember the old Sniffles cartoon where Sniffles is raising a little baby bird that turns into a huge hawk? "Duh, giddy-up Sniffles, giddy-up."


Where's Bella?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is this a current pet? Childhood pet? He/she is a handsome one...

Anonymous said...

Congratulations - Pattie and Kman and Gus. May you have a long and loving time together.

You know, I came this close to naming Oliver/Ollie Augustus/Gus and changed my mind for who knows why.

Kimberly said...

Oh, Pattie, he's a cutie! There's nothing quite like puppy kisses, eh?

I am more a cat person than a dog one, but I do home that someday Paul and I will have a dog in our lives again.

millie garfield said...

Congratulations to the new addition to your family!

Have fun with the new cutie.

Millie

another lisa said...

oh he is wonderful! we have a 9 month old english cocker spaniel who is still an incredible baby... and chewing everything these days... mostly she is a joy...sometimes she is trouble! good luck with training...