Who Is Cowtown Pattie?

My photo
I was Lillie Langtry in another life, and might have a crush on Calamity Jane.

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

"The Eyes Have It"




"The private life is dead in the new Russia," said a Red Army officer in the film of Boris Pasternak's "Dr. Zhivago."

Peggy Noonan's WSJ column "The Eyes Have It" has a very sobering message. One you may already be aware of, but worth this little refresher.

A few weeks ago, partly due to the security issues and partly due to disillusionment, I tried to delete my Facebook account. Alas, FB only lets you make it inactive, but does not have the options of a full removal. Did not make me happy.

My children seem to think I am getting gray-whiskered and uncool because I am constantly harping on the lack of personal privacy in this Brave New World of ours.
They will agree with me but seem rather unfazed by the proliferation of cameras and online harvesting of information...that is until they get an auto ticket at a traffic light. THEN the indignation rolls, but it's soon forgotten.

Getting harder and harder to live your life fairly anonymously. I don't like it.

2 comments:

la peregrina said...

Have you read this?

http://www.wikihow.com/Permanently-Delete-a-Facebook-Account

Whisky Prajer said...

We're all living in the Panopticon now. The fact that our kids are inured to it is indeed the most disturbing aspect of this existence.