Who Is Cowtown Pattie?

My photo
I was Lillie Langtry in another life, and might have a crush on Calamity Jane.

Sunday, February 19, 2006

An Ear for Emmylou


Darko has thrown down the gauntlet over at Pertinent Verge with his profession of suffering from a dislike of Emmylou Harris:

"So, why can I not stand her singing? Is it a question of ears overtuned to the sarcastic? Is it a lack of empathy for one after another songs of sadness and woe? Finally, is it a total lack of emotive skills?"


I might suggest he get a medical checkup from his local otolaryngologist, but I think the malady runs deeper than tone deafness - more like soul deafness, for who can deny the soulful melodic voice of Emmylou?



Glenn McDonald expresses exactly what I feel when listening to my favorite Emmylou album:

"Emmylou's voice affects my metabolism, relocates my points of emotional equilibrium, supplies nutrients I'd forgotten I needed. I suspect the intensity of my reaction has some biological root..." The War Against Silence.


Now, here's my confession: my love for Emmylou is her strong ballad style, the crystalline quality to her beautiful voice; but, even I cannot say the change of style on compliations such as Wrecking Ball (and Whisky Prajer and I seem on the same wavelength) is as satisfying to me as those with her more quintessential sound such as Pieces of the Sky, Quarter Moon In a Ten Cent Town, or even the more recent Red Dirt Girl.

I don't want to be insinuating your cinch is loose, Darko, and everyone has to pick his own horse, but your opinion of Emmylou's music is out bigger than Lottie's eye.

No comments: