Who Is Cowtown Pattie?

My photo
I was Lillie Langtry in another life, and might have a crush on Calamity Jane.

Thursday, August 26, 2004

Super Maxi's and Super Stepmom

I swear rational thinking just isn't for the masses. Late night television convinces me that our country must suffer from a buttload of mental midgets. Political conventions also bring out Those Who Lack A Complete DNA Helix and certainly could answer the anthropologist's quest for the missing link. I guess it is not very nice to point fingers; occasionally, I have been known to have a temporary lapse of my own normal Einsteinian logic. It is surely a result of my having raised four daughters, and the newly assumed stepmothering role of two teenagers. Must be some kind of cosmic joke: "Let's experiment on Pattie with massive doses of stress". I feel like some Greek deity's secret science fair project. Too bad I didn't take a lesson from Cronus and swallow all my children, which obviously are the result of too much Dionysos worshipping. Earth mothers don't do that, of course - swallow their children. (Southern Earth Mothers have been known, however, to permanently maim their offspring with a smothering of maternal protection and shoulder-crushing doses of heavy guilt.)

A month ago, while shopping at Sam's Warehouse, the Mecca of Overabundance, I made the badly flawed judgement call of purchasing mass quantities of feminine hygiene products. Quite assured of my ability to be the Always Prepared Mom, I was jumping into the stepmother role headfirst. Not my first parenting rodeo, nosiree. Imagine my surprise when the step-teen requested money for a trip to the local grocery store to buy just said items. Puzzled, I checked the bathroom cabinet: there lay the bounty of my shopping, unopened and untouched. Also, unwanted I might add. Seems the brand I chose, which according to late night television is guaranteed to stem a leak at the Hoover Dam, "just don't stick right". Well, I'll be damned, too.

Chalk this all up to a severe loss of rational thinking. I did not inquire beforehand about any "wing adhesion" preference, so I suppose this is just one in a long series of hard lessons in stepmothering. Lesson number one: Never assume shit. (This lesson is always in the first chapter of Life, but one I seem doomed to flunk and thus insure my place in line with all the other aforementioned mental midgets.)

Now, I must call upon my superior home decorating skills and crafting magic. I am the original, quintessential Trash to Treasure Queen, and can turn even the wartiest sow's ear into a beeyoutiful silk evening clutch. Heartwrenchingly, my normal creative juices have refused to flow when contemplating what to do with 1000 super maxi-pads. And, of course you know, wallpaper is out because they "just don't stick right".

Damn, a padded room would be just the ticket for Super Stepmom.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Best laugh I have had in a long time. Please don't stop blogging.

Allen

Cowtown Pattie said...

Thanks, Allen! Not any immediate plans to stop, but nice readers like you make my day.

Anonymous said...

Hah! But just a suggestion--will you be shipping anything breakable in the future?

Susan (Spinning)

Anonymous said...

Throw an all girls dinner party and use them for napkins?

Give them to the hubby to use in the garage for car rags?

Donate them to a womens's shelter? Big tax break there!!!!

Print your Christmas cards on them and send them out only to folks you dont like?

Hmmm... the possiblilites are endless

Deb

Hokule'a Kealoha said...

take the unopened boxes back and the female returns lady will double over in laughter just like we did.

Hey I laid up a supply and suddenly didnt need them anymore. Was a total shock. I did the return of unopened and donated the rest.

Hokule'a Kealoha said...

take the unopened boxes back and the female returns lady will double over in laughter just like we did.

Hey I laid up a supply and suddenly didnt need them anymore. Was a total shock. I did the return of unopened and donated the rest.