Who Is Cowtown Pattie?

My photo
I was Lillie Langtry in another life, and might have a crush on Calamity Jane.

Saturday, August 12, 2006

One Book

Though not specifically tagged, I decided to play the recent meme round of "One Book". WhiskyPrajer's meme, par usual, is very cerebral and full of interesting selections. Likewise with Jim's at Serotoninrain.

1. One book that changed your life:
This is a tough question. I cannot think of a single tome that shook my world so noticeably that I would recall it as a "lifechanger". But, if subtlety counts, then the book that comes to mind is Little Women. Odd choice, you say. Yes, but this book was an important literary rite of passage for me. While reading the chapter where Beth dies ( Chapter 40 and simply called "Valley of the Shadow"), I suddenly got very emotional, my throat constricted painfully and hot tears dropped onto the pages. Books can make you cry? Books can make you cry! It was a revelation to this young reader, and though there have been subsequent books that brought tears to my eyes, like a first lover, "Little Women" will forever be etched in my mind as the first book to make me feel physical emotion.

2. One book that you’ve read more than once:
A lot of folks refuse to reread books, thinking it is a waste of time. I've never thought a second or third read of a beloved tale a waste of anything. Oh, I have reread several books. List only one? Nah. Little Women, Gone With the Wind, all of Sherlock Holmes mysteries, Black Beauty, Tom Sawyer, Rebecca, Jane Eyre, and Green Mansions, to name a few.


3. One book you’d want on a desert island:

Definitely this book

4. One book that made you laugh:
When My Love Returns from the Ladies Room, Will I Be Too Old To Care? Or, anything by Lewis Grizzard.

5. One book that made you cry:
(See Number 1.) And add Old Yeller and Where The Red Fern Grows.

6. One book that you wish had been written:
A good sequel to GWTW

7. One book that you wish had never been written:
I have a definite book in mind, but I am not telling here. Would step on too many toes, and surely cause small-minded people to spew vitriolically.


8. One book you’re currently reading:

Red: Passion and Patience in the Desert

9. One book you’ve been meaning to read:
Anything from this list

And I have added a tenth part to this meme:

10. A book I should have read long ago:
Time And Again (Fortunately for me, it was a very touching gift from a wise lady) She was quite surprised I had never read it. Muy gratitude for her thoughtfulness.

Anyone care to join this literary go 'round?

No comments: