Who Is Cowtown Pattie?

My photo
I was Lillie Langtry in another life, and might have a crush on Calamity Jane.

Sunday, August 13, 2006

My Own New Perch

Since my next-to-youngest chick has officially vacated the back fourth bedroom, I have finally dispensed of my old Gateway (courtesy of said daughter's move - she wanted a laptop instead of the little hummer I inherited) and moved my computer desk into the nice spacious quarters now left up for grabs.

In fact, we rearranged a couple of rooms for this move. Kman has been working hard on a full room mural in the front used-to-be-fussy-old-lady-never-sit-on-the-furniture-living room. When we first moved into the house, we had both computers set up in this "formal" living room, and used the back den/kitchen area as our everyday living space. The living room was growing prettier and prettier by the day, and our add-on dining room just off the kitchen was always too crowded when we tried to use the large old dining room suite that once lived at Kman's grandfather's Comanche farm. His grandmother bought the table and six chairs with her first bonafide Social Security check from generous Uncle Sam. I love it.

So, we moved the dining room to the front mural room, and set up a computer/ second den area in the old dining room. Works much better, allows me to be hardwired into the cable modem, and we now have a fancy eatin' table in a fancy room. (* I posted photos of the canyon mural and yucca mural earlier and they are also on KMan's art website, Texas Rembrandt) When the room is finally complete, I will post some good 360 degree photos. Maybe I can learn flash to do it!

The "Texas" bedroom has a pretty bay window that looks out onto our backyard. As we are avid wild bird and squirrel feeders, my view always has lovely flora, a melodious windchime nearby, and a ringside seat to watch the wildlife. There is a crepe myrtle tree just outside the window, and birds come to feast at the block of seed and suet cages, their distance from me less than 12 feet and my presence hidden by the wooden slats of the blinds. The usual diners include downy woodpeckers, bluejays, cardinals, doves, wrens, the occasional red-breasted woodpecker, and the all too rude starlings.

Just beyond the crepe myrtle tree is the "Nut House" Kman built initially for the squirrels, but birds drop by there more often than their furry rat friends with tails. The hummingbird feeder is to the right of the Nut House, within easy view as well.

And then, there is the occasional saunter by of Rusty, the big red dog, and his neurotic sidekick, Max the Black Terror.

Ahh, I see Mr. Jay has returned for one last nightly nibble. Time to get supper on the table for my human flock (red beans and cornbread, with watermelon for dessert) and turn on Deadwood.

Goodnight, ya'll.

No comments: