Who Is Cowtown Pattie?

My photo
I was Lillie Langtry in another life, and might have a crush on Calamity Jane.

Friday, August 11, 2006

Confessions of a Mad Bibliophile



In some email exchanges over the past few days, Joared and I have talked about books we like, books we want to read, and just books, books, books. (She doesn't have a blog yet, and exactly why, I cannot fathom. Her comments are wonderfully crafted.)

I always carry a small spiral bound journal in my purse to jot down names of anything and everything that sparks my interest. Often, Texas Trifles is the intended recipient of my random jots, but I also have a special few pages devoted to book titles.

Joared has forebade me to email her anymore book suggestions, but I couldn't pass up one last list. Here's the "short list" of books I intend to read this year:

Cloud Atlas - David Mitchell (yes, I know everyone in blogdom has read this...)

Sleeping Where I Fall - Peter Coyote

Cacti of the Desert Southwest

Four Corners: History, Land, and People of the Desert Southwest

A Field Guide to Rock Art Symbols of the Greater Southwest

The Sacred Earth: Writers on Nature & Spirit

Prairie Gothic: The Story of a West Texas Family

Cowboy Corner Conversations -Red Stegall

What I Learned on the Ranch And Other Stories from a West Texas Childhood

Beautiful Jim Key: The Lost History of a Horse and a Man Who Changed the World

Gideon Lincecum's Sword:
Civil War Letters from the Texas Home Front


Do you often wonder when you read other people's book lists whether their choice of reading material reflects partly who they are? Some lists I have perused just made me think the composer of the tome tally was trying to impress me with their highbrow choices.

Yes, I have favorite types of literature, just as everyone does, but I seldom get stuck in a reading rut - only reading a particular genre. As I have gotten older, I do find that I choose less and less horror, sci-fi, and mystery novels than I did in my twenty's. Like my vacations, I prefer the road less traveled and delight in finding hidden little nuggets of beauty both on hiking trails and the written page.

Oh, and the picture up top? Anyone remember the Twilight Zone?

Burgess Meedith as Henry Bemis in "Time Enough At Last" 11/20/1959

No comments: