Who Is Cowtown Pattie?

My photo
I was Lillie Langtry in another life, and might have a crush on Calamity Jane.

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Adventures of Off Roader Woman

 




Today Kman and I took a step in the right direction to driving green. We bought one of these little mean machines that can operate on "Willie Fuel". Traded in the gas suckin' Expedition.




The Jeep website says with good driving habits you can get almost 500 miles to the tank (holds 20 gallons) - although I suspect those ratings are for highway driving and not stop and go MetroMess jackrabbiting.

I also see this as a chance to take those roads less traveled, maybe in the bowels of the Bend where we can explore a little more. I am not an advocate of opening roads up in pristine areas of national or state parks, but the Bend has a fair number of driveable trails if you have 4WD and high clearance. (Last time I checked I believe my DOD security clearance rating was in jeopardy of bein' revoked for wadin' too far into the Rio Grande River at Boquillas Canyon. I was seen conversing with the Enemy by a park ranger.)

I have never owned a diesel, but I am really enjoying the responsiveness of the steering and the growl of the turbo when I take off. Ask me again in a month or two if that fun little grumble is still cute. I will, however, enjoy knowing that I am polluting less and getting better mile for the buck...that's about what it averaged with the Expedition.

Just before trading in vehicles, I drove the Expedition to one of those fancy car washes where for a mere $40 you can make the inside of your 7 year-old vehicle shine and smell like new - sorta. While waiting for my car to be ready, I struck up a conversation with a man in the waiting-for-your-car room. He was telling me about his new pick-up - a Nissan, I think. I commented that I was in the process of buying a new Jeep Liberty 4WD CRD. He looked at me for a long moment, and said somewhat puzzled:

"You don't look like an off-roader kinda lady."

What kinda crap is that? Did someone forget to tell me the sport required a uniform? A tattoo? A teeshirt?

 Posted by Picasa

No comments: