Who Is Cowtown Pattie?

My photo
I was Lillie Langtry in another life, and might have a crush on Calamity Jane.

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

So Goes Texas, So Goes the Nation

The next title on my reading list (like most of you, my must-read tally never gets shortened: one book finished, two more take its place):



Falling From Grace in Texas - A Literary Response To The Demise of Paradise
-Edited by Rick Bass & Paul Christensen

"Falling from Grace was originally conceived as "a gift" to every member of the Texas Legislature. But as journalist Michael Berryhill, who lives in Seadrift on the shores of San Antonio Bay, argues, cleaning up the environment is going to take more than legislation. It's going to take a "sense of shame." Perhaps that's the problem, some of us just have no shame. Here's a good place to start developing some."


My very good friend, Ronni, who writes so passionately at Time Goes By, has lit a fire under me. Her "Power To The People" lesson has made me stop and think about where I stand on some serious issues - and it's high time I painted the barn.

Feeling a might overwhelmed with tackling the big woes of America, it occurred to me that I don't have to look further than my own backyard to address an issue dear to my heart - the environment. Though they may be as rare as bluebonnets in October, surely there are some good folk left in the Lone Star State to vote into office that share my vision. I have to hope the system still works, or else succumb entirely to despondency and blind cold apathy.

Being honest with myself, I know that I won't be able to knock white out of the moon, but I can use the voice I do have to write to my representatives, local and state; insist on better government, settle for nothing less than responsible environmental policies, and take heart in that old childhood lesson of "The Little Engine That Could":



Anyone else care to jump aboard?

No comments: