Who Is Cowtown Pattie?

My photo
I was Lillie Langtry in another life, and might have a crush on Calamity Jane.

Thursday, May 26, 2005

A Gift of Scrapbooks


VE Day in Okinawa

Kman's late uncle left a most wonderful gift: volumes and volumes of WWII scrapbooks filled with newspaper clippings, magazine articles and little odd souveniers, like Japanese paper money. Uncle Luther had a personal interest in the Pacific front, and these scrapbooks are filled with little known stories and facts. I am sure a public library would love to have all this, but we just can't part with it yet. The stories are fascinating and tell me more history than I ever learned in school.

Several of the photos are quite gruesome, and I wonder if they would pass muster in today's papers - probably not. And, there are the very politically incorrect editorial cartoons that most certainly would be censored today. I am still surprised to see "Jap" or "Nip" on these 1940's newspaper headlines.

Stories in pictures, like these are especially poignant. (click on each image to enlarge for better viewing.)


Chow Time

Americans could never honor her soldiers enough, but especially these WWII GI's.

Thank you, gentlemen and ladies, for your sacrifice, your bravery, and your determination.

No comments: