Who Is Cowtown Pattie?

My photo
I was Lillie Langtry in another life, and might have a crush on Calamity Jane.

Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Tastes Like Chicken Nuggets!

My Honorary Texan friend, Nina, was always the tall dog in the pack for most every kind of Texas cuisine during her visit, except for one:


Cowtown Eatery on Hwy 80 in the 1940's

Sitting at the Star Cafe on Exchange Avenue (a little joint once owned by my parents in the late '50's), I recommended a little delicacy of Cowtown. I played my ace too soon, because Nina had no idee what a "calf fry" was and my bluff was as obvious as rabbit pills in the sugar bowl. Must confess to not really taking a cotton to the little crudites myself. Go for the chicken fried steak any ol' time over prairie oysters.

Later, we sauntered on over to the Rodeo Exchange for some lively music; a big disappointment 'cuz there was nary a fiddle in the band. Anyway, I was hoping Big Jake would have been game to ask a little lady to dance as Nina was really wanting to shake a leg, but he was busy with a seven-course meal - a six pack with a toothpick.



Just Off The Trail

The band mostly played that obnoxious progressive country and the dance floor was full of buckle polishers and Rexall Rangers, so we high-tailed it to Billy Bob's. That place was so crowded you couldn't swing a dead cat. All dolled-up and no where to Cotton-Eye Joe, we called it a night and headed to the barn.

Adios, Nina, come back soon and we'll dance till the all the cows in Texas are BBQ'd!

2 comments:

Elisson said...

Now, these is some ladies what knows how to have a Good Tahm! An' in Texas, yet!

Anonymous said...

The truly scary thing is, if you *had* tricked me into eating those nasty-ass things, I might have liked them. Then I'd have no choice but to send the killer bees after you!