Who Is Cowtown Pattie?

My photo
I was Lillie Langtry in another life, and might have a crush on Calamity Jane.

Thursday, September 09, 2004

Junkanoo, Mon!

First cool day of something almost "fallish" here in Cowtown, and I am thinking of the islands. Must be all the news about hurricanes, I dunno. Not meaning to trivialize the seriousness of these Mother Nature tantrums, but this evening I am contemplating the beauty of a tall red Hurricane cocktail with its feminine curves of glass, and big slices of sweet pineapple. So, with aimless browsing, I find myself listening to clips of Beres Hammond, looking at caribbean art, and learning about the Junkanoo celebrations. True, Junkanoo is really a celebration in December, but that's not far away. Wouldn't New Years be a blast in the Bahamas?!

The origin of the word "Junkanoo" is unknown. The most popular belief is that it's derived from "John Canoe," an African tribal chief who demanded he be allowed the right to celebrate with his people even after he was brought to the West Indies as a slave.

Caribbean art is so colorful, and fun. Don't have any good place for it in my mostly country Texas decor, but I still love the colors and the vibrancy of the art. Found these examples of the art of Romeo Downer while clicking around. I love the sassy attitude of these Island Mamas:



A Touch of Envy


Dancing Ladies

Feelin' Up Da Tomatoes

Anyone for an island celebration long 'bout December 31st? "You put the lime in the coconut, you drink it all up..."









3 comments:

Kimberly said...

Thanks for sharing those paintings; the spirit in them is wonderful. I love the colors of Caribbean and Latin American art, even more so since moving to Seattle, where the winters are so gray. By the end of the year, we're ready for a little more warmth and light... that's when we head for Houston to see my family.

Cowtown Pattie said...

Havdala and Kim,

Aren't the dresses and hats great? Remind me of the ladies that belong to the Red Hat Clubs.

Havdala, I don't have your email address for some reason. Please drop me a note to cowtownpattie@gmail.com

millie garfield said...

Those ladies look fantastic, loved them all, especially, Feeling the Tomatoes.

Love the colors, figures and motion that they portray. Am going to look at them again. Now that I think about it more am going to print it and put them on my refigerator.

What a great post!

Millier