Who Is Cowtown Pattie?

My photo
I was Lillie Langtry in another life, and might have a crush on Calamity Jane.

Friday, July 09, 2004

Pattie Loves Peaches



This weekend is the annual Parker County Peach Festival in Weatherford.
The Weatherford Chamber of Commerce link will give you a brief overview of the town and the festival. Last summer Kman and I got a late start and it was hotter than a Baptist summer revival. We plan on getting there earlier tomorrow and attempting to keep a little cooler. There are usually at least 200 vendors of types in and around the courthouse; crafts, arts, food - you name it will have a booth.

To celebrate this great fruit, try this little quiz (click on the peach pie image). Of course, Pattie is a PEACH! (If you don't believe it, just ask the Kman *grin*).




And check out Pieism to discover the philosophy of peach pie, and other favorites:

Peach Pie
The great Peach Pie. Peach Pie is the pie of life. Without Peach Pie, life as we know it would not exist. Peach Pie also has the power to smite any person she chooses. Beware cake worshippers, for the great Peach Pie is upon you...


One thing that will be at the festival is a wonderfully quenching concoction called Peach Lemonade. Here is a recipe you might enjoy. I wonder what a splash of vodka might do for it? Hmmmm, what do you think Nina?

Homemade Peach Lemonade

Ingredients 2 peaches peeled and cubed
4 C water
1 C sugar
3/4 C Fresh Lemon Juice

Bring the peaches, sugar, and water to a boil, and then simmer until the sugar is dissolved, about 10 minutes. Allow the mixture to cool, then strain through a sieve, pressing to extract as much juice as possible. Stir in the lemon juice, and serve in tall glasses over ice. Serves 4.

Just for curiosity sake and nothing to do with peaches, I found this weird site: Lincoln in Weatherford

And this about the Weatherford "Monster".

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is Nina--it seems if I don't have a blogger account I can't tell it my name? Anyway, of course this would be PERFECT with vodka. I'm flying right down!

Editor said...

Any lemonade is improved by a splash of vodka!

Anonymous said...

My sister told me of a method of preserving fruit and vegetables last week. If you wrap each individual fruit or vegetable in a four layer thick piece of newspaper and then put it in the fridge. It will stay ripe but not go bad for quite a while. The newspaper wicks the excess moisture away and keeps it dry.

Cowtown Pattie said...

Good idea, I suppose, but in our household, it isn't necessary. Nothing good stays in the fridge longer than two or three days at best. We all have our hiding places, but even those are not safe!

Anonymous said...

Yeah. But if you have a friend who has a garden and he gives you a bushel basket of cucumbers, you don't have to eat them so fast.

Anonymous said...

The picture is mouthwatering in itself! I have peach trees here in the northeast, but we are at the mercy of late spring frosts. One bumper-crop year I made peach wine that everyone still is talking about and hinting for more. I tell them, it's up to God to make peaches into wine, or at least he has the most say in the matter.

Anonymous said...

i'm not really anonymous -- stacey here.

mmmmm peaches. mmmm.

DarkoV said...

Q:? Any time I've used fresh peaches as the basis of a fruit concoction guaranteed to turn my Mon., Tues. or Wed. into a Weekend-like night, I've been sorely disappointed. Canned peaches, complete with the syrup, always worked best. What was I doing wrong?!? So, here goes my Peach Fuzz, alas using canned peaches.
1 can 24-26 oz. of sliced peaches
1/2 banana
2 cups of ice cubes
1 - 1 1/2 cup of dark rum
1/4 cup vodka
1 teaspoon of vanilla
1 squeezed lemon

Throw it all into a blender and run it high for 30 seconds. Throw in a peach slice that wasn't blended.