Who Is Cowtown Pattie?

My photo
I was Lillie Langtry in another life, and might have a crush on Calamity Jane.

Thursday, July 15, 2004

I Double Dare You

A blog I find interesting, Fool in the Forest,  is written by George Wallace; a gentleman who is certainly no Fool, and forever is so clever with his devilish double dactyls  (see the link on his sidebar to "Double Dactyls") :

Excerpts From the Anachronistiad I

Ilium! Ilium!
Mighty Achilles quotes
Dylan to Hector: “So
How does it feeel?

“That’s for Patroclus, pal!
Now, where’s my chariot . . . ?”
Hector’s penultimate
Thought? “What a heel.”
 
I, being the real Fool, attempted my own composition of dactyl-fied line:
 
London Bridge! London Bridge!
Watson and Holmes
Amid Baker Street Regulars,
Seeking a mystery.
 
The game's afoot, man!
Strike up the violin;
Curling smoke - moroccan slippers
Stalking their history. 
 
My friend, Tod, who is in London right now, inadvertently reminded me about my double dactyl salute to London and the great Sherlock Holmes when I viewed his latest photo.  
 
Thankfully, George did not critique my very novice and feeble offering.  Before you start snickering at my pathetic verse, try penning one yourself.   Poetry is not for the faint of heart. George is still an inspiration, even if Pattie should stick to making cornbread; a talent I truly have mastered.











4 comments:

Anonymous said...

nina here. I happen to be very good at double dactyls! Can't wait to go check it out.

Anonymous said...

nina again. I always thought the third line had to be one word. I'll have to check out the rules again. It's been awhile.

George Wallace said...

Nina is right, of course, that a strictly rule-following sort of a double dactyl does use a single, six-syllable, doubly-dactylic word for its penultimate line. I've played fast and loose with the rules, I admit. It sure is fun, though!

Pattie: thanks again for your kind words concerning my silly dactyls. In recompense, please accept this quickly cobbled-together new one:


Git along, git along:
Pattie of Cowtown has
Posted her praises of
This simple Fool!

Who would have thunk such a
Thing? It’s a wonderment!
Alamocentrically,
Texas Girls Rule!

Cowtown Pattie said...

Thanks, George! I am going to add it somewhere to my Blogger template. I am most flattered that you wrote a compostion for moi! What a great compliment!