Who Is Cowtown Pattie?

My photo
I was Lillie Langtry in another life, and might have a crush on Calamity Jane.

Tuesday, May 25, 2004

Don't Let the Stars Get In Your Eyes Don't Let the Moon Break Your Heart

In a few days, the Kman and I are taking a long-needed few days away from La Hacienda del Mayo. One of the places we intend to visit is the McDonald Observatory near Fort Davis, Texas. Hard to believe I have lived in this state for xx many years, and never visited the Big Bend National Park, or Terlingua, or Fort Davis. Gonna rectify that shortly, Sheriff. I hope we can catch a star-gazing party at the observatory on Saturday night. Then, we might go park on a hill to perchance see the Marfa lights, or failing that, at least get in some old-fashioned neckin'. Be our luck an overzealous County Mountie will be on patrol and give us the old flashlight-in-the-face routine and the famous lines: "Evenin' folks, could I see your ID?" And then, the dumbest question in the world: "Whad ya'll doin' out here, parked in the dark?" (Hmmm, could Pattie have been in this predicament before?)

On Saturday morning early, way before the crack-ass of dawn, we are headed west on I-20 towards fun in the sun, and some west Texas howdy time. The little place we will bedroll in is a throw-back to the 40's and something you would expect to see on Route 66: the Antelope Lodge. The innkeeper seems like a very knowledgeable and kindly feller. Who needs swimming pools and fancy bars when you have mountains for scenery and good Texas libations?

So, unless I get an itch to blog something between now and Saturday, you can catch me on the flip-flop come next Wednesday week, if'n I ain't too tuckered from all this restful vacation. Might even break down and buy an inexpensive digital camera so I can "share the moment, share life". Don't know, though. I do love my Canon 35 mm with kodachrome.

"Kodachrome, they give us those nice bright colours
They give us the greens of summers
Makes you think all the world's a sunny day, oh yeah
I got a Nikon (Canon?) camera, I love to take a photograph
So mama don't take my Kodachrome away"

No comments: