Who Is Cowtown Pattie?

My photo
I was Lillie Langtry in another life, and might have a crush on Calamity Jane.

Monday, July 05, 2004

That's Mrs. Kman, If You Please!

Living in sin. Just what the hell does that mean anyway? Oh, I know the Baptist version. I believe it is possibly similar to the Methodist's, the Pentecostal's, the Episcopal's, the Presbyterian's, the Church of Christ's, but I don't know about the Catholic's or the Jehovah Witnesses' take on it. Anyway you epistolize it, I have forsaken that lifestyle. The "living in sin" one. On June 30th, Kman and I became respectable. Superstition has it that a rainy wedding day is good luck and given the recent biblical proportionate flooding around Cowtown, we ought to have 100 years or so of winning lotto tickets, and royal flushes (no play on words intended).

For over a year we have been commited to one another, and for various reasons, never saw the immediate need of becoming legal. But you know what? No matter how special your relationship, no matter how close you are, nothing compares to hearing those age-old words spoken from the heart and given with earnest promise. Kman (who still does not like that moniker) is a gentle giant of man with a kind heart and strong values. He is truly my King Arthur on a white steed, but most of all, he is my best friend.

Okay. So, now you know Pattie is sentimental and old-fashioned. Sometimes. Yeah, well, most times.

The lady judge who performed the ceremony was very personable and kind. While I am not religious in any conventional way, she did mention in her own words these thoughts:

"Marriage can be likened to two trees. The husband should be
like the oak tree. He is to be stronger, and he is to protect his
wife from the winter winds. She is to be like the
apple tree, not as strong but with a godly beauty,
usefulness, and fragrance.

If two trees are too close together, they do not have limbs
all of the way around. If a husband loves his wife
biblically, he will give her opportunity, space, and
encouragement to develop "limbs all of the way around."

Amen.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! My wife and I "lived in sin" for two years before we were sure it would work. That was 22 years ago.

Tim said...

I know couples who've lived together for decades without getting legally married. Of course, they're Gay -- so they can't get legally married in most of the US. But some of these people live in Virginia, where all the legal documents they've drawn up to protect themselves and their children (and for which they've spent thousands of dollars in legal fees) may have just been rendered null and void. Worst of all, our President is campaigning on a Constitutional amendment designed to ensure that people like me will never be allowed to do what you just did.

Here's hoping you and your readers can do something to change this. But in the meantime, Pattie, I congratulate you on your union. Kman sounds like a nice guy, and he's lucky to have you.

Cowtown Pattie said...

I appreciate my readers! You're the best.

Editor said...

Well, I'll say it again since you trashed all your old comments. Congratulations, and best wishes to you both!

Hokule'a Kealoha said...

I am so happy for you. May God Bless You and keep you.