Who Is Cowtown Pattie?

My photo
I was Lillie Langtry in another life, and might have a crush on Calamity Jane.

Saturday, April 22, 2006

Spirited Away By Gypsies - Texas Gypsies


Texas Gypsies

Kman and I were headed downtown tonight to catch a few evening hours of Main Street Arts Festival. Turns out not only was the arts festival in full swing, but there was also a championship playoff of the Fort Worth Flyers basketball team at the Convention Center. Traffic looked like there was a half-priced sell on brassieres at The Fair department store (yeah, I know, The Fair has been gone for plumb near a century so sue me and call me geezer). Even with my fancy electronic get-out-of-jail free tag on the windshield for the parking garage did me no good - it was full to the gills.

"Screw it", we said in unison. Heading west towards home we decided to pull into Central Market on Hulen Street to grab two freshly grilled burgers and a couple of Shiners. Central Market has some really good bands playing on their patio on Fridays and Saturdays once the weather gets nice. Terrific food, big glasses of Shiner boch on tap for $2.75, cool spring weather and free music, can't get any better than that. Tonight was no exception.

The band, Texas Gypsies, was spectacular! We finished our burgers, bought some more Shiner and moved closer to the stage. We were treated to some very classy, very talented musicians. One of the best bands we have ever had the pleasure of hearing at Central Market - hell, anywhere for that matter. Their website has several soundclips and you can buy a cd as well. We purchased one while at Central Market and rocked all the way home. Particularly fun was the band's rendition of an old Cab Calloway song, "Minnie, the Moocher". Encouraging audience participation, the band and the crowd were perfectly in sync and I loudly joined in the chorus of "hidey, hidey, hidey, hi". I wished it were on the cd... listening guys?

They play tomorrow at 11:00 am on the main stage at the Main Street Arts Festival. The chance to hear them live and in person again might just tempt me to brave another traffic nightmare.

Almost.

No comments: