Who Is Cowtown Pattie?

My photo
I was Lillie Langtry in another life, and might have a crush on Calamity Jane.

Saturday, June 11, 2005

Saturday Night After The Movies

Kman and I just got back from the local Rave Theatre. We saw Cinderella Man, starring Russell Crowe and Rene Zellweger, directed by Ron Howard.

I had not read much about the movie prior to tonight, nor did I know anything about the match between Jimmy Braddock and Max Baer, which made the ending all the more intense for me. While I seldom like boxing movies (the violence just really gets to me), Cinderella Man is a well-acted movie with a great script. Nice to see a movie where computer graphic enhancement does not substitute for great acting. The fight scenes were so realistic, I had to turn my eyes away a few times.

Like the Grapes of Wrath, Cinderella Man makes you feel the frustration and the desperation that overcame the country during the Great Depression. There is only one brief scene of the "Hooverville shacks", but it makes an impact. Both Crowe and Zellweger are sure to get high marks for their roles.

No comments: